OPEN SOURCE DEVELOPER (OPEN EDX) – Python/Django
Do you love to build up and break down websites, swim in code, and have a critical eye to site improvements?
If so, we’d love to hear from you as we’re on the hunt for a Open Source Developer to help refine and optimize our learning platform.
Development specialized on the free software project Open edX, used by many educational institutions and companies to offer online courses. See edx.org, for examples of Open edX instances.
It’s a large Python/Django codebase, with good code standards and architecture. Tasks are varied, from developing core platform features, custom exercises and tools for specific courses (XBlocks), customizing and deploying instances, working on both client/server sides.
You would also contribute to the free software project, pushing some of your developments upstream through pull requests, contributing features, documentation.
- Learn edX’s technology stack, participate in our Scrum process, and take advantage of our continuous integration process to ship code as soon as it’s done.
- Establish strong working relationships with cross-functional teams as well as engineers throughout the company.
- Apply your talent to design, develop, deploy, and support scalable software systems.
- Participate in code reviews and other feedback mechanisms.
- Demonstrate a “you build it, you run it” mindset of ownership.
- Have regular, meaningful conversations with your team about growth and development opportunities.
- Have some fun!
Ideal Applicants Have
- 2+ years working with Python
- Experience with Python web frameworks, preferably Django
- Knowledge of one backend language; PHP, WordPress, Python, and Django are preferred
- You feel comfortable working in a Linux environment
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL)
- The ability to write coherent documentation for the general public
- Bootstrap, CSS Scaffolding, JQuery, and Responsive Design experience would also be nice to have
- Ability to impact and influence product strategy without authority, drive cross group collaboration, successfully advocate for customers and apply critical thinking and creative solutions in a dynamic highly ambiguous working environment.
- Experience using quantitative and qualitative data to make decisions and recommendations, to build and communicate plans, and to monitor and measure progress against goals.
- Strong sense of pride and personal accountability for the end-to-end product/service quality, completeness, and resulting in good quality user experience.
- Self-starter with a proven ability to work in fast-paced environment; possesses a “whatever it takes mentality,” able to quickly and easily adapt to changing mandates and priorities.
- Must demonstrate a sense of urgency around critical priorities, but work calmly, independently and effectively under pressure.